Darkside  

Voltar   Darkside > Darkside > Comunidade

Responder

Never Ping
🌀 Trooper

Gamertag: Willian Braga PSN ID: Never_Ping XFIRE ID: neverping Steam ID: neverping
Default Listening to Complainers Is Bad for Your Brain

21-08-12, 08:01 #1
http://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/list...our-brain.html

Listening to Complainers Is Bad for Your Brain

Exposure to nonstop negativity actually impairs brain function. Here's how to defend yourself.

Do you hate it when people complain? It turns out there's a good reason: Listening to too much complaining is bad for your brain in multiple ways, according to Trevor Blake, a serial entrepreneur and author of Three Simple Steps: A Map to Success in Business and Life. In the book, he describes how neuroscientists have learned to measure brain activity when faced with various stimuli, including a long gripe session.

"The brain works more like a muscle than we thought," Blake says. "So if you're pinned in a corner for too long listening to someone being negative, you're more likely to behave that way as well."

Even worse, being exposed to too much complaining can actually make you dumb. Research shows that exposure to 30 minutes or more of negativity--including viewing such material on TV--actually peels away neurons in the brain's hippocampus. "That's the part of your brain you need for problem solving," he says. "Basically, it turns your brain to mush."

But if you're running a company, don't you need to hear about anything that may have gone wrong? "There's a big difference between bringing your attention to something that's awry and a complaint," Blake says. "Typically, people who are complaining don't want a solution; they just want you to join in the indignity of the whole thing. You can almost hear brains clink when six people get together and start saying, 'Isn't it terrible?' This will damage your brain even if you're just passively listening. And if you try to change their behavior, you'll become the target of the complaint."

So, how do you defend yourself and your brain from all the negativity? Blake recommends the following tactics:

1. Get some distance

"My father was a chain smoker," Blake confides. "I tried to change his habit, but it's not easy to do that." Blake knew secondhand smoke could damage his own lungs as well. "My only recourse was to distance myself."

You should look at complaining the same way, he says. "The approach I've always taken with complaining is to think of it as the same as passive smoking." Your brain will thank you if you get yourself away from the complainer, if you can.

2. Ask the complainer to fix the problem

Sometimes getting distance isn't an option. If you can't easily walk away, a second strategy is to ask the complainer to fix the problem.

"Try to get the person who's complaining to take responsibility for a solution," Blake says. "I typically respond to a complaint with, 'What are you going to do about it?'" Many complainers walk away huffily at that point, because he hasn't given them what they wanted, Blake reports. But some may actually try to solve the problem.

3. Shields up!

When you're trapped listening to a complaint, you can use mental techniques to block out the griping and save your neurons. Blake favors one used by the late Spanish golfer Seve Ballesteros during a match against Jack Nicklaus--a match the crowd wanted Ballesteros to lose. "He was having difficulty handling the hostility of the crowd," Blake says. "So he imagined a bell jar that no one could see descending from the sky to protect him."

Major League Baseball pitchers can sometimes be seen mouthing "Shields on!" as they stride to the mound, he says. He adds that his own imaginary defense is "more like a Harry Potter invisibility cloak."

A related strategy is to mentally retreat to your imagined favorite spot, someplace you'd go if you could wave a magic wand. "For me, it was a ribbon of beautiful white sugary sand that extended out in a horseshoe shape from a private island," Blake says. "I would take myself to my private retreat while people were ranting and raving. I could smile at them and nod in all the right places and meanwhile take myself for a walk on my private beach."

Blake first saw the picture of the island in a magazine, and the image stuck with him. Eventually, he got a chance to try it for real. "It turned out the island was for rent, and it was the same one I'd seen," he says. "So I rented it for a week. And I got to take that walk."

Never Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
EviLBraiN
Trooper

22-08-12, 10:47 #2
É real. Estudos de neuroimagem já apontam para isto. Os neuronios fazem e refazem conexões diariamente. E as mais utilizadas sao as mais fortalecidas e as mais fáceis de se usar.

Então o pessimista, o cérebro dele esta configurado para o pessimismo. É difícil ser diferente. Mas se com esforço a pessoa tenta mudar, com o treino chega um ponto que o cérebro esta reestruturado para o otimismo. Então passa a ser mais fácil ser otimista e difícil voltar a ser pessimista. Seria um dos objetivos de algumas linhas de psicoterapia.

EviLBraiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Gerson
Trooper

22-08-12, 10:59 #3
Criar uma checkbox Complaint Filter pra DS que adiciona na ignore automaticamente uma lista de users.

Gerson is offline   Reply With Quote
vitorueda
Trooper

22-08-12, 13:58 #4
Quote:
Postado por EviLBraiN Mostrar Post
É real. Estudos de neuroimagem já apontam para isto. Os neuronios fazem e refazem conexões diariamente. E as mais utilizadas sao as mais fortalecidas e as mais fáceis de se usar.

Então o pessimista, o cérebro dele esta configurado para o pessimismo. É difícil ser diferente. Mas se com esforço a pessoa tenta mudar, com o treino chega um ponto que o cérebro esta reestruturado para o otimismo. Então passa a ser mais fácil ser otimista e difícil voltar a ser pessimista. Seria um dos objetivos de algumas linhas de psicoterapia.
Isso explica o comportamento de pelo menos 1 usuário da DS... rsrs

vitorueda is offline   Reply With Quote
Zedd
Trooper

22-08-12, 16:41 #5
Isso não funciona só pro pessimismo, ein
Muito toscamente pode-se dizer que o cérebro é uma máquina de estados com reforço de aresta, cada vez que você pensa algo aquela coisa sobe na lista de coisas que importam no seu cérebro

Por isso a depressão é uma doença maldita, por isso nego não consegue esquecer a mulher, por isso nego que é sonhador fica cada vez mais sonhador e falido, fodido e imbecil conforme o tempo passa

Por isso as 'revoluções mentais' são raras e costuma-se dizer que 'no fundo, ninguém muda'

Zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Blazed
Trooper

22-08-12, 16:44 #6
Quote:
Postado por Zedd Mostrar Post
por isso nego não consegue esquecer a mulher, por isso nego que é sonhador fica cada vez mais sonhador e falido conforme o tempo passa
WELCOME TO DS!

Blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
K o R n
Trooper

22-08-12, 17:02 #7
Muito real o texto ae NP, thanks.

Todo mundo aqui conhece gente pessimista ao ponto do insuportável e gente otimista cega sonhadora que não enxerga a um palmo a frente as pegadinhas que a vida nos joga.

Zedd lembrou da depressão tive pessoas próximas que entraram numa merda que foi tenso sair cara. Ainda bem que no final deu certo.

K o R n is offline   Reply With Quote
ircF
Trooper

22-08-12, 17:13 #8
Depressao eh pior q cancer, tenho dito.

Minha velha esta ate hj tentando "voltar", quem acompanha o sofrimento de perto entende..

ircF is offline   Reply With Quote
EviLBraiN
Trooper

22-08-12, 18:23 #9
Depressão é uma das doenças que mais trás consequências junto. Já é a q mais afasta pessoas do trabalho. E a tendência é piorar muito antes de melhorar. O governo fecha hospital psiquiátrico aos rodos qnd deveria estar abrindo mais. O cara q vai no psiquiatra vira alvo de tiracao de sarro no trabalho. Só coisa boa !

EviLBraiN is offline   Reply With Quote
maurocool

PSN ID: maurocool-maurasia Steam ID: maurocool
22-08-12, 18:48 #10
minha melhor amiga eh depressiva... as vezes, to num dia de boa, tranquilão.... em 2 minutos de papo com ela, após ouvir coisas como "minha vida eh uma merda" e "quero me matar", fico irritadiço, mal humorado...

esse texto é BEM verdadeiro

maurocool is offline   Reply With Quote
rapidiaum
maggots!

Gamertag: rapidiao Steam ID: rapidiaum
22-08-12, 22:11 #11
Quote:
Postado por maurocool Mostrar Post
minha melhor amiga eh depressiva... as vezes, to num dia de boa, tranquilão.... em 2 minutos de papo com ela, após ouvir coisas como "minha vida eh uma merda" e "quero me matar", fico irritadiço, mal humorado...
e o que vc fará em relação a isso?

rapidiaum is offline   Reply With Quote
maurocool

PSN ID: maurocool-maurasia Steam ID: maurocool
23-08-12, 03:25 #12
Queimarei unzets, tomarei uma breja e segurei com a minha vida!!

maurocool is offline   Reply With Quote
vitorueda
Trooper

23-08-12, 10:10 #13
Quote:
Postado por ircF Mostrar Post
Depressao eh pior q cancer, tenho dito.

Minha velha esta ate hj tentando "voltar", quem acompanha o sofrimento de perto entende..
Discordo e muito! rsrs

vitorueda is offline   Reply With Quote
Responder

Regras de postagem